A rail adventure in Kyushu: onsen, homestays
Start your tour in Kyushu's largest city, Fukuoka. Explore the Nakasu Yatai Market's lively food stalls, Hakata ramen, and city shrines and temples.
2. Beppu onsen: Take a train to this hot spring town noted for its "hells" (thermal pools) and many onsen. Ryokans offer authentic Japanese hospitality
3. Yufuin: Visit the mountainous town. Explore lovely streets with boutiques, cafes, and art galleries. Visit Lake Kinrinko, a magnificent caldera lake.
4. Visit Kumamoto Castle, one of Japan's most stunning castles, by train. Explore the castle grounds and its rich history.
5. Sweet Treats: Try Yufuin's milk-flavored candy and Kumamoto's basashi. Variety of sweets will satisfy your sweet tooth.
6. Nagasaki: Visit this fascinating mix of Japanese and European traditions. Admire the Glover Garden, Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum, and international atmosphere.
7. Hirado homestays: Take a ferry to Hirado, a lovely island with a long Portuguese commercial history. Explore Japanese culture at minshuku homestays.
8. Try the "Nagasaki Burger," a local mix of Japanese and Western ingredients, in Sasebo. Visit the city's waterfront and maritime attractions.
9. Karatsu: Visit Karatsu for its beaches, ancient attractions, and Karatsu Kunchi festival. Eat local fish and relax on the beach.
10. Return to Fukuoka: End your trip. Think about your trip, buy souvenirs, and maybe eat one more bowl of Hakata ramen.
check our new stories